magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Museum of Natural History

So we decided to take the kids into the city to meet up with Aunt Meri on Sunday. We opted for the train, which I'm not sure was the best idea, but it worked out OK. Going in was fine- the trains were pretty empty on a Sunday morning so we were able to walk Baz around. Since he wasn't strapped into his carseat he wanted to MOVE! The other issue was that the restrooms were every other car- a problem for a 3 year old bladder! We made it though and enjoyed some nice scenery from the train. We had dinner in a BBQ place with Aunt Meri and Baz was great! He's usually a good kid, but like most toddlers, he doesn't want to sit still. Luckily, he was happy to sit in Aunt Meri's lap while mommy got to eat!

After lunch, we headed to the subway to get to the museum. I had never been there and boy howdy is that a huge museum!!! I can see how being forced to look at and read about each exhibit could become tedious, but the toddler-ized version was loads of fun. We visited the Butterfly exhibit and saw some pretty neat looking butterflies. We even saw a birth- it was cool to see its wings open up.

I was amazed at how well both kids did with the space show- I didn't know that's what we were seeing until we walked into the theater so I didn't have time to worry about it, which was good. Baz was maxxing out on awake time, but once the stars came out, he laid back against George and watched away. Anya was amazed by the whole show and happily sat still through the whole thing. The only time she commented was when the announcer said "Maybe someday one of you will become an astronaut". She immediately told me "But I want to be a DENTIST!!!"

Of course, the trains home Sunday evening were packed, so we had to camp out in Penn Station to await the track assignment for our train. We competed quite well in the mad dash down the stairs to wait AGAIN for the train to arrive despite the fact that we had a double stroller and 2 toddlers in tow! I was proud of myself for getting a good spot on the train as well- it was standing room only and I would have NOT been a happy camper trying to keep a sleep-deprived toddler under control while carrying several bags, a stroller AND standing the whole time!

If only Anya had listened to George about not sticking her fingers in her mouth ALL-EFFING-DAY.... He even had a discussion specifically about that as we sat on the floor in Penn Station waiting for the train and she still put her fingers in her mouth. Which leads me to my next post......

No comments: