magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Monday, August 20, 2007

Mary Poppins

Today was Anya's immersion in Mary Poppins. We started it on the way to Colleen's this morning- she refused to leave the van as I dropped Baz off because she wanted to keep watching it. We brought it in to Colleens, but one of the bigger kids was playing a video game or something, so she couldn't watch there....Not a problem because we continued it on the way home later and then in the house. I think she watched the first half hour or so about 3 times today. The problem is that I'm usually doing something like driving or exercising while a video is on, so when it comes to bedtime and she starts asking why about every little detail, I have no answers. Luckily for Anya, daddy remembers every little detail about every movie he's ever watched, so he answered several of her questions and didn't even see it today! We had a tantrum-free day today, which hasn't happened in a while, so that was a plus! She's progressing well with swimming and her teacher says that she's working on getting the next level award soon- yay!!!

Sebastian is just a fast-moving little boy. Since the weather has changed and it's cooler, seeing him in jeans makes him look more like a boy and less like a baby. I swear he saves up energy for Anya's swimming lessons...as soon as she's in the water, he squirms out of his stroller and just starts running laps. The other moms and dads laugh at George and I as we tag-team chasing him! Today I distracted him with a trip to the grocery store which was slightly less tiring than running around Saf-T-Swim. His vocabulary is building daily...he's adding "outside" to his regular rotation, as well as a bunch that I can't think of now. He's also giving kisses very readily and waving bye-bye. Tonight he came with me to the kitchen to get some milk as Anya was still in the tub with George. I asked him if he wanted to say goodnight to daddy and he began running down the hall, waving frantically blowing kisses. When he got to George, he said bye-bye daddy and gave him a kiss- how sweet!!!

He's gotten attached to his blanket at night- spends a few minutes spreading it out over him before he lays down. Thanks Carol for those oversized swaddling blankets!

As my post was interrupted by his screams (I think he had a nightmare), I am reminded of one of the best things about being a mommy. Not being roused out of a deep sleep (or as deep as my sleep can get now) by fussy cries, but when he's calmed down and finished with his milk and he rolls over to put his head on my shoulder. He wraps his arms around mine and holds on and just snuggles up to me....ahhhh, that's the payoff for being sleep-deprived and why I can think past a horrible puke-ridden pregnancy to the sweet baby on the other side.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Caroline loves Mary Poppins too! She's got a serious crush on Michael!

When I was 4 and my sister was 3, we sang the "Nanny request" song at a church variety show. Oh man, I know all the words to that song!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.