magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recovery timeline

Just because I know I'm going to forget this time in my life (I probably already have), I want to write what the first 2-3 weeks of Lorelei's life were like.

Days 1-3- hospital
This time was borrrrring and painful.....unlike my other deliveries where I felt INCREDIBLE from the beginning, every movement was hard to do and painful, so I was not able to enjoy my hospital time at all. I did still feel well enough on day 3 to go home (that, and the hospital bed was KILLING my back), but I was definitely not great

Day 3- Friday- discharge day
George and I made it home without any problems. It was kinda funny watching the other new parents being discharged and getting into their cars......dad got in the driver's seat and mom got in back with baby. Haha...here I was with kiddo #3 and after I was discharged, daddy went back into the hospital to see a patient while I waited in the front seat. It seems that once you have more than one kid, there's no room for mom or dad to sit next to the new one unless you can cram your adult-sized bottom into a carseat!

Anyway, when we got home, my parents were still there- cleaning frantically (thanks mom and dad!) and George was at Anya's school for her applesauce party. He had a blast playing with her class and she was thrilled to have daddy there AND get a ride home with him. Just before my parents left, Maureen came over so I could shower and change (thanks Maureen!!!). She entertained Baz and hung out so I didn't have to chase him and manage L (and my incision). The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful....we had leftovers for dinner and got through bath/bedtime as usual, just with a baby on my boob.

The first night started out with me sleeping in bed, but it didn't last too long. My hopes of having L sleep in the crib from day 1 dissipated once the c/s incision was made, but even getting her in and out of the PNP next to the bed was hard and painful. I also couldn't sleep comfortably on my side, so nursing her in bed wasn't an option either. Factor in big brother who missed mommy and wanted to sleep on top of me and the whole bed sitch was BAD.

I migrated to the couch (see the pic below) and the sleep solution was found. I could sleep comfortably for me and hold L safely so she could nurse through the night. There was even room for Baz to sleep between my legs with his head on the boppy so we could all get some rest- yay! We were able to sleep like this for several days and I'm so glad I figured it out right away!

No comments: