magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Sunday, September 28, 2008

C-section thoughts

I really have to hand it to c-section mommies....of course, I knew it wasn't easy, but holy cow is this hard!! I'm sure a bit of it is that I know what a vag delivery is and was prepared for that so this is a huge curveball. During the pregnancy, I was able to get through the last few weeks by reminding myself how good it feels to push that kid out and feel great immediately. Had I been prepared to spend some time recovering from just giving birth, this may have felt a little better. I certainly don't get why anyone would CHOOSE a section over a vag birth- this is hardly more convenient and most definitely much more painful. Anyway, I am happy that Lorelei is here safe and sound and my delivery and recovery have been uneventful.

I am very glad that I pushed and pushed to make sure I was given Toradol immediately postop (I had to ask so many nurses whether I had or not that I felt like a pest). It turns out that I wasn't given it, so if I hadn't asked, I would have been much worse off that night! I also found a little miracle cure for some temporary relief- ice packs.....the PP nurse looked at me like I had 6 heads when I asked for an ice-pack pad that's intended to cool your hoo-ha after a vag delivery. Boy howdy, did that ice soothe my belly, though! Even now, I feel so good when I sit down with a bag of ice on my lap- it really works! I also find that maintaining my NSAIDS makes a huge difference- I missed a dose of Motrin while in the hospital and felt so much worse until I got my next dose. Maybe now my patients will listen to me when I tell them to take their meds regularly if they want to feel better!

No comments: