magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The first and HOPEFULLY the last......

Broken bone, that is. Not surprisingly, Baz beat Anya to the punch in terms of serious injuries. He's been eagerly scaling the front of the changing table lately since it's flipped up into the shelf position since it's not needed at the moment for changing baby's diapers. Not only is it fun just to climb, but he can then jump into the crib (full of stuffed animals at the moment) or turn the light/fan off and on- who wouldn't jump at that opportunity?

Well, Friday afternoon both kids were playing in the nursery and I wasn't directly monitoring them since this has become a regular routine until I heard a thump and crying. Hard crying. I knew before I even got there that Baz was the injured party, but I had no idea how bad it would be. At first, it seemed pretty bad because Anya told me he landed on his head. I now was worried about head or neck issues and had visions of a trip to the ER with CT scans, etc involved. Thankfully, once I began examining him, his only concern was his foot. Wahoo!!!! Not that I was happy to have him injured, but if he had to hurt something, the foot is definitely the way to go.

Poor little muffin stopped crying pretty quickly, but absolutely refused to bear any weight on his foot at all. Once George came home, we decided that we'd all leave for work a little early in the morning and xray him in my office and treat it accordingly. I was really hoping that maybe he'd get up in the morning and run around like normal (kids heal so quickly and we didn't know if anything was broken or not), but that wasn't the case.

He still hobbled around like a hurt puppy holding his leg in the air and repeated "I can't walk momma". A couple of xrays later and we saw that he did in fact chip off a piece of bone. It could have been much worse, but we put on a short cast in the hopes that he'd become a little more mobile. He we quite a trooper and laughed and giggled through the xrays and the cast application and has only asked to have it off a couple of times....so far.

This morning, he's finally crawling around instead of crying for someone to pick him up. We're hoping that if we get him a shoe or sandal big enough to cover the cast he'll start walking a bit. He hasn't asked to go into the hot tub yet either- here's hoping he doesn't!

No comments: